- Bodily and Personal Injury / Medical Malpractice
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance & Professional Liability
Year of call to the bar2001
A partner of the firm practicing in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, Robert specializes in matters of bodily & personal injury, medical malpractice, defective product claims, sexual abuse, class actions, shareholder disputes, banking and insurance matters. Robert handles cases for individuals and companies, and has settled and won numerous multi-million dollar cases for his clients. Robert is also a regular speaker at legal conferences in litigation and class action matters.
Among the noteworthy cases that Robert has recently handled or is currently handling as lead or co-lead counsel, are:
- A landmark decision on behalf of numerous victims of sexual abuse by members of the religious order “The Redemptorists”. The Judgment marked the first time in Québec history that a Court condemned a religious order to pay damages to victims of sexual abuse perpetrated by its members. Robert’s clients recovered $20 million, the largest amount ever awarded in such a case in Québec history.
- A multi-million dollar Judgment from the Court of Appeal of Québec against a ski hill on behalf of a child who suffered brain injuries during a group ski lesson. The Judgment upheld the largest amount ever awarded in such a case in Québec history.
- The settlement of a class action against the Royal Bank of Canada on behalf of numerous victims of a Ponzi scheme perpetrated by Earl Jones, commonly referred to as Montréal’s “mini-Madoff”. Robert’s clients recovered $17 million.
- A Judgment from the Court of Appeal of Québec on behalf of the Bank of Nova Scotia, which condemned the Bank of Montréal to pay more than $12 million in damages following a fraudulent scheme perpetrated by a common customer of the two banks.
- The successful defense of two American financial institutions which resulted in a Judgment dismissing a claim for more than $10 million brought by the Royal Bank of Canada following a fraudulent scheme perpetrated by a common customer of the financial institutions.
- Representation of a victim in a lawsuit against Bishop’s University, which claims millions of dollars as compensation for severe brain injury suffered during a football game.
- Representation of victims claiming millions of dollars to compensate significant bodily injuries suffered as a result of recreational ATV collisions, work accidents, ski accidents and the receipt of defective medical products.
Robert is lead or co-lead counsel in numerous class actions, including the following:
- Against Depuy Orthopaedics and Johnson & Johnson, on behalf of Québec recipients of ASR hip implants, which are alleged to be defective.
- Against the religious order, Les Clercs de Saint-Viateur, and the Institut Raymond Dewar, on behalf of numerous individuals who were sexually abused by members of the religious order when they attended a school for deaf and mute children.
- Against the religious order, Institut des frères de Notre-Dame de Miséricorde, on behalf of victims of sexual abuse perpetrated by one of its members, who was the principal of College St- Hilaire.
- Defending physicians and medical clinics who are alleged to have charged unlawful fees to patients.
Robert frequently works on a contingency fee basis if clients cannot afford to pay legal fees to fund litigation.
- McGill University, B.Com, 1996 (Dean’s Honour List)
- McGill University, B.C.L., L.L.B., 2000 (Dean’s Honour List)
- The Bar of Québec
- The Bar of Montréal
- The Canadian Bar Association
- Executive committee member of The Canadian Bar Association, Class Action Division