- Commercial Litigation Lawyer
- Class Action Lawsuits Canada
- Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Lawyers Insurance & Professional Liability
Year of call to the bar1999
Stuart is a Partner in the firm’s Litigation department.
Stuart regularly pleads cases before all courts of Québec. His primary areas of practice are Bodily and Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Insurance and Professional Liability, Class Actions, and Commercial Litigation.
Stuart represents victims of Bodily and Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice, including many tragic cases resulting in catastrophic injuries and death. Stuart often handles such cases on a contingency fee basis, which ensures that victims and their families have access to justice. Over the past 16 years, Stuart has recovered many significant monetary awards for his clients by way of Judgment, Settlement out-of-court, and Mediation. Certain Judgments that he has obtained have helped shape the law in Québec regarding the amounts to which victims are entitled.
Stuart also specializes in matters of Insurance and Professional Liability. He regularly handles complex property insurance cases on behalf of insurance companies, and recently obtained a multi-million dollar award of damages against a municipality for the fault of its firefighters. As well, he frequently represents individuals in claims for disability insurance and life insurance benefits. He has also defended many claims of professional liability against attorneys.
Another of Stuart’s practice areas is Class Actions. He has acted on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in matters such as product liability, securities, and health care.
Stuart has also represented numerous individuals and companies in a variety of Commercial Litigation matters, including contractual disputes and injunctions.
Stuart has lectured at medical-legal conferences and at McGill University Law School in matters of Medical Malpractice, and he has authored articles on Insurance and Class Actions.
Stuart is married and the proud father of 2 daughters.
Please see the Links, below, to view a sample of the judgments which Stuart has obtained.
- Named 2022 and 2023 “Lawyer of the Year” in Personal Injury Litigation (Montreal) by The Best Lawyers in Canada®
- Fellow of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers, a designation awarded only to litigators in the United States and Canada who have demonstrated the highest standards of trial advocacy, ethical conduct, professionalism and collegiality.
- Recognized as a “Litigation Star” in Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada® in the fields of Personal Injury Litigation, Health Care Law, Class Action Litigation, and Insurance Law
- McGill University, B.Com., 1994 (Dean’s Honour List)
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, B.C.L., L.L.B., 1998 (Dean’s Honour List)
- Laval (Ville de) v. Factory Mutual Insurance Company, 2014 QCCA 1906, 2012 QCCS 6185
- Léveillé v. Avantage Link inc. (Nutri-Mer Inc. v. Avantage Link inc.), 2014 QCCS 5121
- Reliable Parts ltée v. Midbec ltée, 2014 QCCA 4, 2011 QCCS 4840
- Montréal (Ville de) v. Wilson Davies, 2013 QCCA 34, 2011 QCCS 4756
- Stations de la vallée de St-Sauveur inc. v. M.A., 2010 QCCA 1509, 2008 QCCS 240
- Castor Holdings Ltd., 2009 QCCA 829, 2008 QCCS 3437
- Raymond v. Goldberg, 2008 QCCS 5925
- ABB Inc. v. Domtar Inc., 2007 SCC 50, 2005 QCCA 732, 2003 CanLII 54531
- Lombard General Insurance company of Canada v. Libenstein, 2006 QCCA 664, 2004 CanLII 31661
- Moumdjian v. Aubin, 2006 QCCA 1264, 2004 CanLII 11982
- American Home, compagnie d’assurances v. Richardson, 2005 QCCA 1038
- The Bar of Québec
- The Bar of Montréal
- The Canadian Bar Association